Sunday, April 19, 2009

Interesting...

Since I was a very young child I have had the same dentist.  I LOVED this dentist.  Back story:  When I was a teenager, my parent's insurance changed (I didn't understand the true pain of this until I became a grown up and carried my own insurance...grrr!).  I then had to switch to this "other" dentist that didn't know me from Adam...or rather, Eve.  As many of you can remember, I have very bad teeth...always have had.  So this dentist went to work on my teeth.  Apparently he didn't pay enough attention to what he was doing and let what I call "shrapnel" remain in a front tooth filling.  Forever ruining my smile. Now keep in mind I was a teenager and was afraid of confrontation.  I also was the typical teenager and wasn't thinking about my future.  I lived in the now, baby!  

 For years when I would smile, my friends would say, "You have something in your teeth."  Then I would have to explain the whole ordeal.  And good for them for bringing it up.  I would expect my friends to let me know if I had some sort of  "schlop" lingering around my teeth.     Have you ever gone home after hanging out with "friends" and you noticed you had something there and no-one said ANYTHING?  Not pleasant.  I think that should be one of the vows of new friendships.  "Do you promise to give me the, "you have food in your teeth sign" as long as we both shall live?" Okay veering off the point her.  Anyway, every new friend made... every new job started got the story.  It always embarrassed me and I was very self-conscience of it. 

Now that I'm all grown up and have seen the errors of my ways, I have gone back to my child hood dentist.  No complaints!  Love him!  Well, 8 months ago I got an abscess in that tooth.  It's a shame I didn't take a picture.  My entire face was swollen.  Sure, it's funny NOW... but then, not so much!  Anyway, after a LOT of work the final piece was getting a cap on that tooth.  After 18-plus years I have a beautiful tooth.  I'm showing everyone!  I never knew how much confidence it would give me.  I'm so happy!!! I still have a lot more work to be done before I have the "super-model" smile, but hey!  This is one step 18 years in the making.  I realize dedicating an entire posting to one tooth is ridiculous. But apparently it doesn't take that much to make me happy.  

Big "Woo-hoo!" send out to Dr. Silcox.  You rock man!!!

1 comment: